Well, this trip was bittersweet. On the way into camp Saturday evening, I was informed that my wife was driving my 10 year old son to ER for stitches. While playing some aggressive football with the neighbor's son and friends a head-on collision occured. My son's eyebrow got the brunt of the force exerted by the other player's teeth. The result was the peeling down of his eyebrow from the midline out toward the right side of his brow ridge.
I'm happy to say that a dozen stitches fixed him all up. And, the report I got, was the ER at Hillcrest treated him well and did a great job. He's still swollen and the blood is beginning to drift down and under his eye. In a couple more days, he should have a nice shiner to go with the son of Frankenstein stitches he's sporting. Poor guy! What a bruiser though!
So, with that on my mind and a whole host of other stresses that I'm trying my best to cope with....traveling to trout camp was supposed to be a welcome relief. But, I can honestly say that I didn't feel the stress reduction that normally magically happens upon crossing the Ohio / Pennsylvania border this time around. There were just too many things going on for me to attempt to forget. The calming / healing properties of Trout Camp weren't working on this trip. I'm hoping that it was me and not lost majical properties at our little hide-away in the hills.
The buzz at the local tavern was the influx of bear hunters. Jim and I hadn't seen this packed in like forever. In a stroke of luck we were able to snag a table just as some patrons finished up and left. We ordere our "usuals" and chased it with a couple of ice cold bottled Yings. We spoke to a few guys in from Ohio and made small talk about football and dealt with the "flat landers" comments from the locals. Even the Steelers fans seemed to be optimistic that in a couple years our Brownies might be up to the task of walking on the field and battling it out like we had years ago when the rivalry was bitter and a celebrated event. We can only hope that we're on the right track now with the current staff. I believe we are.
Jim and I headed up to camp and went through our normal routine of scoping out the property and prepping for snoozing in the Mountaineer. I quickly took note of the overturned 55 gallon drum and the scattering of all our trash that we had left. What had scavenged our refuse? Raccoon, deer, cougar or maybe even a bear? Who knows? Whatever it was, it was strong, because that steel drum isn't the lightest thing to topple over! I was hoping that the culprit wouldn't show while we were up there either! I spent a few minutes cleaning up the place which wasn't so difficult. The full moon in the sky was shining a bright blue hue down on the woods. Almost all the leaves have fallen and the lush fern vegetation has taken on a rust-brown color. It was very cool out causing ice crystals of frost to form just about everywhere. The frosty white color reflected the moon's radiance effectively. Within a few minutes, my eyes adjusted to the point that I could see anything and everything without the use of a headlamp. I won't forget that pale blue hue though. It seemed to just make everything glow eerily.
Jim and I also took notice that someone had traveled via our gravel road. The rock we laid down smoothly just a month ago had settled some and the surface was scarred by a half dozen thin wheel marks. They seemed far to thin for quad, automobile or wheelbarrow. I'm guessing that it was either a dirt bike or game cart pulling out a prized kill? Any trace of the wheel tracks was erased with a quick once over by the rake.
The next morning, bright and early, coffee was served, a bagel was eaten and the next installment of 10# of gravel arrived and was spread. During the course of our discussion with our local excavator contact, Jim and I made mention of some flattening that we'd like done in preparation of the Banner Camper's arrival next spring. A short while into the video, you'll see me pointing out to Steve our ideas and what we're were looking to accomplish. Steve quoted us on the spot and with a very reasonable amount. If the stars align, we may just have him back to camp with his track hoe to level things out. I had considered borrowing my buddy Greg's Kubota again, but the time and energy, gas, etc associated with it just didn't make sense. Steve told us that he'd be able to push everything down, stumps and all, level things off, smooth the drive in and out all in one day. What he'd be able to do with his heavy machinery would take me and the little tractor many trips and alot of work. It just makes sense to go with a professional. I can't tell you how happy I am that Jim and I were referred this gentleman and his abilities. He's reasonable, on time, makes special delivery accomodations (Sunday mornings) and has worked out great for TC improvements.
I shot a video of the second go round with the gravel delivery, the before and after of the full drive and a little bit of what TC looks like now that all the vegetation is pretty much dead and void of green. It is boring, but I'm sure someone will enjoy seeing our progress and speedy work in fast forward mode. I can't wait to shoot Steve down there with the track hoe pushing out the stumps, the hillside and anything else in his way. That is a "Bob the Builder Day" for sure!
No comments:
Post a Comment