Thursday, June 2, 2011

The Lumber Pile Grows...

Wednesday morning began with the wife and I dropping the kids at school and then it was "Road Trip" time. We traveled to Sullivan, Ohio in our quest to acquire more free lumber and possibly a 10'X16'  shed for parts to use on our project.  The hour and twenty minute ride went by fast.  Without the constant noise of energetic children and the radio set to "off", we took advantage of the time to talk and enjoy each other's company free of distractions.  And, when a long pause between subject matter occured, we basked in the pure unadulterated sound of silence.  It was certainly something to listen too!
We stopped for some breakfast at Mickie D's and ate outside.  The weather was beautiful, finally!  Fast forward to a dusty gravel country road. 
The rear view mirror reflected a dust cloud that hid everything that we had just passed.  A quick right turn into Kenis' place and a bumpy trek down a farming trail about four acres and we were backing up to a pile of 2X4, X8, X10, X12' and a few 1X6 rough sawn Amish lumber.  Next to the pile stood a barn style kit built 10' X 16' shed that was in great condition except for the inner floor and a few bottom sills of the exterior wall sheeting.  But, for the most part, this barn has all the t-111 and OSB skinning that we'll need for the roofing.  Kenis and I loaded my trailer with all the scrap wood we could (which was alot) and we headed back home.
In the next several weeks, I'll return with a saw-zaw and some other tools necessary to break the shed down and salvage the parts that will be usable.
The best part is whatever I don't want and can't use from the shed can be left where it lay.  Kenis said he'll burn it where it stands. LOL!  I love country living, fewer rules and less neighbors to worry about!  When I finally get all the parts from the free shed back to my place, I'll have to formulate a plan on how to best build our "thinking box/storage shed" so that I can haul it up to camp in pieces like a modular home and assemble onsite.

Here's what I plan on building courtesy of my new Youtube friend BuffCleb (Chris).  It'll be very similiar with only a few changes that involve the access door and a ramp instead of stairs.

No comments:

Post a Comment