This past Wednesday, after celebrating my daughter's 14th b-day at our favorite sushi restaurant (Otani's in Mayfield Heights), I immediately headed out to TC in preparation for the following day's list of things to do. The rush is the weather. If you haven't had the opportunity to spend a few overnighters in Pennsylvania, let me clue you in...Whatever the nightime temperature is in Cleveland, it'll be 10-15 degrees cooler in the Allegheny Mountains. If it is borderline cold here with an occasional sprinkle of snow, chances are they'll have 12-24" on the ground in parts. They seem to have rain every third day, so you can imagine what happens when freezing temperatures become common. Now, this isn't a given, but considered typical. My fear is the snow that lurks just around the corner and the unfinished state of the Thinker's Box "shed". It must at least have a solid roof (even if it is just the sheathing) prior to the white stuff. When the snow starts flying, the loads will easily weigh down the tarp that is on it now and tear it to shreds. If that happens, the affects on the interior could prove catastrophic destroying the progress that I've worked so hard to complete in such a short time. So, in short...the roof needs to be installed! If we can get the sheathing on the roof rafters and at least one wall skinned (the northern facing wall) before the snow starts to fly my level of anxiety will be greatly reduced.
As you will see in the video, the OSB is at camp ready to be installed, all of the rafters are in place and the walls now have been made structurally sound with in-between-the-studs 45 degree angle blocking. I've also managed to bring the studs up to the underside of the outer roof rafters. The only thing that needs to be addressed before the roof decking is put in place is the eves. I'd like to extend them a foot on either end to give us a lip of protection against the elements.
As far as camp is concerned. It looks like we've had no human visitors since my last visit. The plastic that I stapled to the walls was intact and untouched. I didn't see any footprints in the lower level's flat either. The grass is still growing and I believe the seed that was laid about a month ago (if memory serves correctly) has sprouted with the most success. So, late September seems to be a good time. I'm guessing that we'll have to go through this routine several times before we have a nice lush area that is completely green a portion of the year. I can't help but think that a couple falls worth of leaf debris and natural decomposition would go far in providing the nutrients necessary to hardy up the grass we have...time will tell, I guess.
As you will see in the video, the OSB is at camp ready to be installed, all of the rafters are in place and the walls now have been made structurally sound with in-between-the-studs 45 degree angle blocking. I've also managed to bring the studs up to the underside of the outer roof rafters. The only thing that needs to be addressed before the roof decking is put in place is the eves. I'd like to extend them a foot on either end to give us a lip of protection against the elements.
No comments:
Post a Comment