Thursday, February 2, 2012

Oak Floor Preparation...

  Last year, August, 2011 to be exact, I blogged about a "wanted advertisement" placed on Craig's List for flooring that was answered by a gentleman named Ernie of Erie, Pa.  Oak Flooring  I ended up receiving approximately 140-150 square feet of 3/4" oak flooring that was removed as part of a gymnasium renovation for the low-low price of free (if you don't count the $35 in gas to get it).  At the time, the floor was still attached to multiple crisscrossing layers of 1/4" plywood pieces and had tons of fasteners that needed to be removed.  (See video)  Having done little to the floor besides stacking the individual pieces and storing them within the Banner Camper, it has become time to get the ball rolling...


     This past Sunday I began the morning by modifying another Craig's List "gift" to better suit our needs at camp.  When the work was finished, I had a two door base cabinet complete with heavy duty ball bearing casters.  After a light sanding to the top, which really brightened up the butcher's block, I then used it for the second "things to do" on my list:  prepping the floor.

     The oak floor, when removed, was originally cut into big (and heavy) sections with a concrete saw by the guy who gifted it to me.  As a result, the tongue and groove connections were severed around the perimeter.  The job of returning those areas back to factory was my goal.  I set up a home-made router jig on the top of the rolling cabinet.  Returning the boards back to factory so they could them be reinstalled into the Shed Mahal required three passes.  One for the top edge of the tongue notch, one for the underside cut and then one for the groove that the tongue fits into on the opposite end.  Inspecting a board that had the factory tongue revealed the top dado is a deeper cut than the bottom.  So, the fun begins with a router pass for all the tops and then resetting the bit depth and repeating for the underside.  After this stage was complete, I was left with two piles.  One that needed nothing and an equal sized pile that needed the groove put back into the end.  The bit that Shawn's Dad let me borrow made quick work of this task and in no time, I had a floor that was ready for sanding.  The next job is transporting the floor to Millwork Design and running the boards through the wide belt sanding machine.  Shawn ran a sample for me and with the finished sanded off, it looks fantastic.

      Jim and I have decided that we would  make up the difference of approximate 42 square feet that we're short with rubber flooring at the entry door wall.  So, once the milling and sanding of the floor stock is finished, brought up to camp, doors are installed, and the floor is laid from the North wall toward the south door wall...the rubber flooring will fill in the gap when we run out of oak.

The video begins with excerpts of the work performed on the flooring and the finished look.  At the end of this part, I show the nice stack of wood that is now completely usable, but unsanded.  The one "odd ball" board is how it'll all look once the old finish has been removed.  The second part of the video transports us up to camp where I show the nice rolling, butcher block cabinet I constructed (for free) and then finally the video finishes up with the North side of the Shed Mahal begin finished with the t1-11.



One more note that cascades into several, my cousin Dave accepted delivery of the insulated steel roll door and it is now safely stored in my garage.  It looks great!  Once the threshold is repaired for the solid 36" wide entrance door, I'll bring it and the roll door up to camp and install them.  At that point, we'll have a structure that is sealed to the outside elements and lockable.  The following trip will involve the installation of the oak flooring.  Things are really coming along now!  And, as I mentioned in an earlier post, once the weather becomes warmer, we'll begin painting the surfaces that will have trim, install the trim corners, horizontal band and window framing boards and then repaint it all.  The paint color?  We're going to go with forest service brown (as shown in the photo above).  Our deep green metal roof (forest green) and door will look great next to it!

For some reason, it appears as if the 1/24/2012 post didn't hit the blog.  I noticed it when I was writing the draft for this one.  So, if you're interested, hop back two posts and read the work Matt and I did and watch the short video.

Dj

No comments:

Post a Comment