This past Sunday afternoon, halfway through my work day, I decided to ask my son Nick if he'd like to take a quick trip to camp with me? He agreed. It was a spur of the moment decision. I hadn't even packed the car or had a list prepared to know what to pack for that matter. I'm happy to say that in spite of this prime example of lack of preparation on my part, that the car was loaded and we were on our way by 6pm. The 30 minutes of loading was the quickest I had ever done and I was mildly surprised that I hadn't forgotten anything!
The big decision was where to eat. I was thinking that we'd head straight past camp and hit the local pizza joint in town, but Nick was more inclined to eat at Applebee's. He likes the dinner for 2 for $20. Steak, mozzarella sticks, mixed veggies and fries was on his mind. I ate the grilled chicken/shrimp combo which was inconsistently served as usual. This time my meal was cold, last time the potato wedges were hard as rocks and overdone, the time before the shrimp was few and hard to locate...I guess I haven't learned, but I want to eat the meal that is in the menu photo SOOOO bad! One day I might even get it served to me?!
Anyway, we arrived at TC just as the sun set and the dim blue light of the moon was setting everything a glow. The sky was clear with no clouds to be seen. Funny, the weatherman predicted thunderstorms throughout the evening? Setting up camp in the cold is so much more enjoyable than the alternative. Within 15 minutes we had the bed made, the battery installed, the windows open, the fans running and blowing in the cool night air and the project supplies situated around camp so that my early start the next morning would go smoothly and quicker. I made a trek over to the shed and while opening the roll door was startled by the noises coming from the ferns and brush just off the lower part of the ramp. I trained my light in that direction and watched a huge rabbit bounce off into the darkness. PHEW! Much better than watching a bear or coyote approaching!
Nick and I fell asleep around midnight and I was up around 7AM to install our new camp flag, the shower's water delivery system, cut the grass and put two jack stands on the underside end of the camper. This didn't take long and before we knew it everything was packed into the Xb, camper was closed and locked and Nick and I were at breakfast. We made it home by 2:30PM. I enjoyed hanging out with my little buddy and having company on this quick trip. Camp is now ready for this holiday weekend, fun and the festivities!
No comments:
Post a Comment