Thursday, July 14, 2011

Project Wojtak!

In a round 'bout way, this post is loosely TC related.  Follow me as I tell the tale full circle...
Several months ago, I agreed to build a deck for my neighbor and friend at his Geneva campgrounds in a barter for "club seating"
C-N-C work on replacement wood slats for a set of folding bleacher seats that are destined for a trip up to camp.  I'm not sure where these bleachers came from, possibly the Old Cleveland Stadium, dunno?, but they needed the wood seat and seat backs replaced and the cast iron framing sandblasted.  Since Shawn is responsible for the programming at Millwork Design Solutions, I envisioned some tricked out seat back slats that will have the above pictured design milled out of them.  Once completed, they are going to look sweet!  I'm not really sure where the heck we're going to install them, but we'll worry about that later!




That agreement was for the first 10' X 15' deck.  In the course of its completion, it was mentioned that a better set of stairs was needed for the camper.  If you've ever climbed in / out of a hard side camper, you'll realize quickly that you need a high level of balance and agility as the stairs that fold underneath them are an afterthought of the assembly line manufacturing process.



Or, they put much thought into making the cheapest set of metal folding steps that they could get away with and not be held liable in court.  In any case, they are not safe for permanent use.

I was asked if I'd be interested in building a set of rigid wood stairs with a landing and handrail to make navigating in and out of the camper easier and enjoyable for the Wojtasik's.  After a some suggesting, we "super-sized" the stair idea into a second deck project.  This one is 10' X 9' and sits 30" off the ground to the undersill of the camper door.  The photos show it before the last two boards were custom made and installed on the deck ends.

Thanks extended to Shawn's Dad for turning out the boards that fit the sizes needed to fill the end gaps in the photos.  The deck is now finished, Shawn and Amy are happy...so I'm happy! 
Which brings me to the end of the story and full circle.  With the completion of "Project Wojtak #1 & #2", the finishing of a 15' CTS float rod that is being shipped to Canada, the painting of 6 window trims this weekend at home, I can now focus more of my attention on TC's construction needs which of course is "Project Thinker's Box."  Maybe I can convince Shawn to mill us up a ledger board that has a cool graphic and build date when the storage shed is finally finished?

It's just a thought! LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment